Wow.
This week cruised by. The past transfer cruised by. Actually, the past 23
months have cruised by! Tomorrow starts the beginning of my last transfer as a
missionary. I am being transferred to work in the Tongan ward and Marshallese
branch of Sacramento to end my mission! I definitely did not see that one
coming! I got a call from the mission president saying he had a "special
assignment" for me. Haha I have no idea what to expect, considering I
speak neither of those languages. (Shoutout to Elder Merrill who speaks
Marshallese.. Come help a brother out). The YSA ward I have been serving in has
been one of the funnest things I have been a part of. I have loved the people
here, and look forward to having a complete change of work as I end my mission
working with the islanders.
On
Friday we gave a zone training to the zone. The first few days of the week we
would spend an hour or two every day with the sister training leaders thinking
of things we could do for the training. Those sisters are 2 of the coolest
sisters in the mission which made it fun getting together and planning. It was
interesting how at first we would try to throw some ideas around but it
wouldn't work right. We would hit a brick wall, decide to pray, then everything
would flow smoothly and work really well. It just shows once again that this
was not Elder Black and Elder Williams' training, but this was God's training
that he gave through Elder Black and Elder Williams. The training itself was
one of the most powerful trainings I have ever been a part of as we talked
about the basics of our purpose as missionaries. There were many different
instances where the spirit brought many different things to my mind that I can
do more right in my life. It was fantastic.
I
had my first experience of being in a trio for a few days. We get to have a big
Samoan Elder spend 5 days with us until transfers happen tomorrow morning.
It has been interesting having two companions. Between the 6'4 Elder Williams
and 300 pound Elder Lamositele, it is safe to say that we are pretty
intimidating while knocking on doors. Good thing the message we share is the
most peaceful and love filled message anyone could have. It evens things out.
I had the opportunity to give our
investigator Tony a blessing to help him overcome word of wisdom issues, as
well as other struggles he is dealing with. It was such a powerful experience.
I could tell it was 100% given by the spirit because I was saying things that I
never would have thought of as normal little Elder Black. There was then a
split second during the blessing where I got distracted and a little irritated
because of how hard our 300 pound Samoan Elder with his gigantor hands was
pressing down on my hands and Tony's head. I immediately didn't know what to
say, stuttered, paused for a second to refocus on the spirit, then was able to
get back into it. Every word from priesthood blessings is from the spirit. I
promise.
We
are getting quite a bit better at using our iPads while proselyting. We are
starting to use them much more effectively in lessons, we study with them more
effectively, and we still have a whole lot to learn with them. There have been
a few lessons where we have been able to show a video that applies to the
investigator perfectly, and it really touches them and changes the attitude of
the lesson. I know that these devices are sent to us from God to help further
his work even more.
On
Sunday we did a missionary musical number in sacrament meeting. When I realized
that all 3 of the other missionaries serving in this ward with me are majoring
in music/vocals in college, I decided we needed to make something happen.
Elders Williams sang with the two sisters while I played the piano. It was
incredible. The voices of those 3 are like unto the goddesses of the heavens.
The brains of the ward members were blown with the spirit. Winning. We went to
a member's house later so they could record it. I will attach a copy of it.
We
got all the missionaries in our zone together on Sunday night and had
a testimony meeting as the sun went down. The day ending was supposed to
represent the transfer ending and was super symbolic and precious. It was such
a great opportunity we had with all the missionaries to be with each other one
last time and share the thing that binds us all together - our testimonies. We
reflected on how things have gone over the past 6 weeks and the love that we
have in the zone. I love these missionaries here. I had an overwhelming feeling
of love for the missionaries and love for the work we are involved in as we sat
there together on the roof of one of our members. There were a few airplanes
that flew by, causing everyone to look at me when it passed us because I will
be the next person to get on one. I couldn't help but think of how much I do
not want that day to come yet. I still have to much to do here in Sacramento. I
will miss the amazing experiences like that night that come in the mission field.
This
work is real. Being a part of it has been the most amazing experience of my
life.
This
church is the true church of God here on the earth. Being a part of it has
changed the entire nature of who I am as a human being.
The
Savior's Atonement is real. Through the power that comes from it we are able to
overcome our trials, make it through the pains of life, and one day receive
exaltation and live with our families for eternity in perfected, resurrected,
immortal bodies. I am so grateful for our Savior Jesus Christ.
Elder
Gage Black








No comments:
Post a Comment