Well
this is new. I never would have thought I would be ending my mission like this.
I have now spent the past week in a ward where it feels like I am in a whole
different country. Serving the last 6 weeks of my mission working with the
Tongan and Marshallese people of Sacramento is not what I thought would happen.
I have spent the last 23 months learning how to effectively talk to people,
share the gospel, and be a missionary. Now I now once again have no idea how to
talk to people in their language or share the gospel in a way that these people
will understand, making it difficult to be an effective missionary for my last
transfer. What a humbling experience.
I
spent the first few days just trying to figure out what was happening because I
kinda need to lead the area. It reminds of me when I got sent to Folsom with a
new companion and neither of us knew the ward. Most people are culture shocked
at the beginning of their mission. I have been culture shocked at the end. I
walk into people's homes and feel like I am not even in America anymore. Every
time I introduce myself to a Marshallese person they always say "you are
not black, you are white!" Or something along those lines. Quite clever
people. When I meet a Tongan they usually give me a nice bro hug and tell me to
go eat some food. The
Tongan & Marshallese people have so much love for each other and for the
Lord. It is amazing to see how focused they are on helping their families and
supporting each other.
On Saturday we were invited to a
Marshallese 1yr birthday party. The party that they throw for a 1 year old's
birthday is bigger than weddings or any other party. It was crazy to see how
much effort went into this party. They decked out the whole gym, had some
famous Marshallese performer, and gave out lots of gifts. The food was quite
different as well. It was the first time I have had a fish head, pigs foot,
oyster, and donuts all on the same plate. Sadly I didn't get around to eating
it... It would have been quite the story.
Church was unique too. First we
went to the Tongan ward. The chapel was packed. I have never ever heard a group
of people sing hymns so loud. It was really cool to hear the emotion they put
into it. The Marshallese branch started later and was quite different than the
Tongan. There are only a handful of active members, many of whom come from
surrounding family wards to try to help the branch. Both wards were very
different than the YSA ward I have been serving in.
I know God has a purpose for me
being here. I am going to figure out what it is and get it done in the little
time I have left as a missionary.
I
appreciate all the prayers. It keeps me going.
Loves
of island love,
Elder
Black
Here
are 2 pictures from the Marshallese bday party.
Sent
from my iPad



No comments:
Post a Comment