I have now been in Georgetown for one week. I can tell you
that it is nothing like Folsom. Or really like anything else i have ever
experienced.
It was hard to say goodbye to everyone in Folsom. Especially
the Hamiltons who i lived with for 6 months. It almost felt like leaving Alpine
all over again. But i made it through the goodbyes and made it up here to
Georgetown. I went from living in the Hamiltons super nice house to living in a
doublewide trailer with a cool older couple out in the woods. And i love it! It
is so much fun up here in Georgetown. We cover a bunch of different towns,
including: Georgetown, Green Wood, Garden Valley, Pilot Hill, Upper Country,
and Cool California. We are completely surrounded by forest everywhere we go,
and it feels like im up in the mountains of Utah every day! There is only 1 or
two spots in our whole area that we get cell service, making it impossible to
get in contact with anyone. It's kinda fun being off the grid though. The
majority of the roads we drive on are dirt roads that remind me a lot of the
road above Silver Lake in the American Fork Canyon that Dad and I would hunt
around all the time. It almost feels like we are camping out here. We cruise
around in a 2014 Nissan Frontier, and since I am the Senior comp i get to drive
the truck. I have so much fun doing it. I had my first experience eating spam,
since we didnt have much food for the week. Spam is interesting. Enough said.
:)
Being a District Leader has taken some time getting used to.
It is weird having other missionaries look up to you as a leader. I feel like i
just came out here on a mission and trying to figure things out for myself! I
had my first District meeting on Thursday and I think it went pretty well. It
is going to be hard coming up with a hour and a half long training every week.
I enjoy the responsibility though. It will be a great learning experience.
There
are less than 100 active members in the ward. It is hard to say how many there
are because yesterday was ward conference and lots of the people there were
stake leaders. There are TONS of less actives here though. And everyone is
quite old. There are only a few families under the age of 60. there are 5 young
men and 4 young women, and 10 kids in the whole primary. Sacrament meetingg was
so quite. it felt strange. And it isnt just the ward members that are quite
aged. The majority of the people leaving up here are retired.
We
have a few investigators we are working with that are looking promising. People
out here just have different views about life. We had a lady come up to us
holding a flower and said it was God. We also found out that one of our investigators
is a Wicken. I dont know too much about what they believe, but im pretty sure
it is witchcraft. Yolo. When we are out tracting people are either really nice,
or really quick at tell you to get off their property. Usually with choice
words. Every door you walk up to you dont know if they are going to come out
with a shotgun and shoot first, ask questions later. So every time we are
walking up to a house (after driving a mile off the main road on their sketchy
dirt road to get to the house), my heart is always pounding.
One
of the less active members of our ward was shot 17 times a few weeks ago and is
going to come back to church now. She has a crazy story with it all, but she
knows she needs to come to church. So God works in mysterious ways i guess.
Well
i was going to send you guys some pictures but i forgot my card reader today so
i will have to do that next week. I love it here in Georgetown though. It is
going to be a good time out here with all the back country folks, most of whom
are missing most of their teeth and have long white hair and beards. May the
adventures begin.
I
love you guys a whole lot, have a great week.
Elder
Gage Black
No comments:
Post a Comment