My time as a missionary may be winding down, but the
unique experiences are still coming every day. This week we were able to get a
lot done as we have been working like crazy. It is so tiring but so rewarding.
We were able to meet a few new people that want to follow the example of Jesus
Christ and get baptized. Lucky for them, that is why we are here!
We went and saw one of the less active members of the
Tongan ward and boy was it nuts. He has been dodging us for the past little bit
so we found him at home and had a talk. We started by talking about random
things to open him up. As we moved into gospel topic and asked him about what
his baptism meant to him he went silent. He does this often, making it hard to
have a real conversation. It was time for us to lay things down and put an end
to this. I silently prayed to know what to say. I felt the spirit prompt me to
be very bold and to the point with him. At the beginning of my mission I never
would have been bold enough to say what was being put in my mind. But at this
point in my mission I don't care what I think. I just say what God wants said
so his work can get done. I don't remember exactly what I said, I just remember
the majority of it was phrases like, "you are slowly damning your own
soul," and "we are here to keep you from the endless torment of
Hell," and things like that. I said what needed to be said, we stood up,
and we walked out all without a peep coming from his mouth.
When I got in the car I realized I was full of adrenaline
and had no idea what had just happened. I haven't felt like that since the days
of cliff jumping at Lake Powell or snowboarding back home. It was crazy.
We did a few service projects as a zone this week. 20 of
us missionaries spent a morning walking along the Sacramento River picking up
trash and beautifying the earth. The Sac river is basically as cool as the
Amazon River. Almost. The next day we spent the morning spreading a bunch of
mulch at the park. What would the community do without us? It was fun being
able to get together with the missionaries and have a good time. Missionaries
are the coolest. Go find one if you are looking for a best friend.
On Thursday night we were able to go downtown and have
dinner with the Hamiltons. That is the family I lived with for 6 months when I
was in Folsom. It was so great to see them again and catch up. They also
brought a friend with them. My boy Tom Kahne is here In Sacramento
visiting for a few months from France.
He was my first companion there in Folsom and I haven't seen him since. Also,
their son jumped out at me in MY gorilla suit from Utah. How it made it here, I
have no idea. But it sure baffled me when i realized I was getting pranked by
my prank. Overall it was an awesome night being with some of the most amazing
people I have met on my mission.
It has been cool experiencing all the different cultures
that are here in the area as I have been serving in one of the most diverse
areas of our mission. We are around all kinds of islander people all day, the
Spanish branch is right next door, and there are all kinds of Asian groups in
the area. We ate lunch with one of the Cambodian members in the area with those
missionaries and had a great time. This has been such a great place as I
prepare to go from Sac to the big UT.
For any of you that were not aware, my name is Elder
Black and I am a full time missionary. And I love it.
I was reunited with my gorilla suit after 2 years of
being separated.
What a joyous day.



No comments:
Post a Comment