Gage's countdown

Monday, July 27, 2015

July 27th email "The End"

This week i will complete my time as a full time missionary for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. I don't know how to explain how I am feeling right now, so instead I have decided to share with you some of the things that I have come to know are true throughout my mission.

First, I want to promise you that the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints is God's kingdom here on the earth. Having a testimony isn't enough. You must be truly converted to this gospel. That requires action, and a constant renewal of the witness that these things are true. In order to do that you must read and pray daily, and go to Church every week. As you partake of the Sacrament you are allowing yourself to repent and become a better person every Sunday. Testimony is a starting point, not a final destination. We must choose to act on the testimony we have gained to become truly converted. As you work towards true conversion the very nature of who you are changes. Elder Bednar explained "Conversion is an offering of self, of love, and of loyalty we give to God in gratitude for the gift of testimony." We put our own desires on the altar of sacrifice and do the will of the Lord. 

Joseph Smith is the prophet that was called to restore that same church that Jesus Christ established while he was here on earth. He really did see Father, he saw our brother Jesus Christ, and he was given the priesthood authority to restore God's church. I know that happened. Joseph Smith wasn't a perfect man, but he DID obey God's every request, never denying the experiences he had. I have a very strong testimony of the Restoration, and I have loved sharing it with many different people through the past two years. In the end every doubt or anything that tries to persuade you that this gospel is not 100% true can be resolved by knowing that Joseph Smith truly was a prophet. There is not a doubt in my mind of the validity of this church because I know without a doubt that Joseph Smith was a prophet of God. THIS is the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints.

The Plan of Salvation is what brings hope to this life. It causes you to keep an eternal perspective which should motivate you to make decisions that will benefit you in the eternities and not just here on earth. God loves you. He knows everything about you because you lived with Him before you came to this earth. You saw how perfect and amazing our Father was, and you wanted to come to this earth so you could learn how to become more like Him. That is what this plan is all about. Using our agency to turn to God for the strength during our time of struggle. If you do that you will grow spiritually and prepare yourself to ultimately live with our Father once again.
God knows our every thought, action, and desire. He also knows that we will not be perfect while we are here on earth. He sent His son Jesus Christ to take upon himself not only the sins, but the pain and affliction of every single person that ever has been or ever will be on this earth. Alma 7:11-13 clearly states that Christ knows how we feel because He felt it. He knows what it takes to make it through struggles because He made it through the ultimate struggle. I can't even fathom how much love He must have for me if He was willing to do that for me.
There is nothing in the world that I could imagine being better than living with my family for eternity. "That same family which exists among us here will exist among us there, only it will be coupled with eternal glory, which glory we do not now enjoy" (D&C 130:2). That is what it is all about.

Faith is an assurance of things hoped for that are true. It is a principle of action, and is evidence of things not seen. It works in a big circle. You have assurance in something that leads you to act, which then brings evidence that causes you to have more assurance. We must use our agency to act. The principle of faith is what makes everything possible. The power of the priesthood, the cleansing and enabling power of the Atonement, and any hope for progression first requires having faith in Jesus Christ and his Atonement. 

The power of prayer is amazing. As a missionary there have been countless times where there have been very direct answers to prayers that come quick. I have seen miracles happen for others as I have had the opportunity to pray for them and their specific needs. I have come to know that engaging in meaningful prayer requires action. Joseph Smith didn't just want to know which church was true, he wanted to know which church to join. Praying with true faith always leads to righteous action. God wants to pour blessing upon His children. All we need to do is ask for them. Praying does not change the will of God, but rather is the act of aligning our will with His. Every sincere prayer is heard and answered by our Heavenly Father. I promise.

These are truths that I have come to know as a missionary. It isn't the mission that has changed me, but the Atonement of Jesus Christ. Through him I have been able to learn these things and apply them to my life as I strive to become truly converted to him. Jesus is the Christ. He has been resurrected, this is His true church on the earth, and salvation and exaltation can only be obtained by obedience to God's commandments.

It's all true. Promise.

With lots of Love for one last time,

Elder Black

Elder Black also wrote this in his email to his mom:

Jeadrik and Carol got married on Thursday, and he got Baptized on Saturday!! it was so amazing. Miracle after miracle made that one possible. It was such an awesome way to end my mission. It was a great week.
So this week will be interesting. All the missionaries going home will meet at the mission office on Wednesday to watch all the new missionaries get their trainers. We will go to the temple with the president, sleep over with all the departing missionaries, and head to the airport Thursday morning


No comments:

Post a Comment