Gage's countdown

Saturday, August 31, 2013

Aug 27th email and Picture

The mission Field is an exciting place!

It is awesome out here. I have been busy since the minute I got out of the mission home. Right as i got out to my area i went straight to appointments.
On Sundays we get to the church by 7 for ward council meeting, then go to all the church services. Then after church its back to work and we proselyte for the rest of the day. P days we get to do whatever till 5, Then its back to work like normal. We go to the store, then go to the church and email, then play sports with the rest of the missionaries in our zone in the gym until 5. Teaching inactives is a lot like teaching normal people. You focus on their concerns, share the message they need to hear, and do all you can to get them to church. 

Teaching is crazy. At the beginning i would just sit there and listen to what my companion says because i didn't know what to say. As the days have gone on i have gotten better. I taught the entire lesson last night. I feel more and more comfortable with talking to all the people and with teaching as the days go on. Its getting funner and funner to go out and teach. We actually have a few people with some baptismal dates, so Hopefully I will get my first 3 or 4 baptisms soon!

We have a Swat Sniper/Cop with a Firefighter wife in our ward. They are way cool. We have had dinner at quite a few prison guards houses. Their stories are always fun to listen too! we have a few Stockton cops in our ward that are super cynical. One of them have a Zonky (Zebra Donkey). I got a few pictures of that. :) 

Receiving letters out here is a joke. One of my friends sent me one that was postmarked the 14th, and I didn't get it until the 22nd or 23rd. So I would to still get letters, it will just take me a while to respond because it takes forever to get them, and we can only write letters on p day.We live on a lot of land, we live in the Mclellen's (members of the ward) guest home. It is way cool. It is definitely in the middle of the countryside out here. Our church building is over 10 miles away in the city of elk grove. Vintage Park Chapel. It is such a nice building. Two different chapels, an upstairs for classrooms and stuff, and two wards come at a time. It's crazy.

Once a week we are supposed to bike. Biking is fun, but I've decided that tracting is the most worthless thing ever. We have tried so many different approaches and no one gives us the time of day. Its a good thing we don't tract much in Wilton. Yesterday we were on our bikes tracting in the heat of the day, all while fasting for an elder that is having medical issues. It was quite the humbling experience getting shut down and turned away in those conditions. we usually put the bikes on the back of the car and drive to an area to tract. While driving home yesterday my companions bike flew off while we were going 60 and it tumbled down the highway. The front of his bike is pretty well bashed in so its safe to say we aren't biking for a while..

I went on exchanges with the zone leader this week because my comp is a district leader. It was a great experience where I was able to get advice and wisdom from another missionary who has been out for so long. I was driving him around because he lived in Germany before his mission so he has no license. I felt pretty legit driving the ZL around. We played tennis in the morning for the morning workout which was lots of fun. It reminded of all the times I've played with you guys! we went up to florin which was pretty ghetto. Not many white people there. We were only there for an hour because we didn't find many people. 

Basically the mission has been great so far. Our house has a piano so I usually play hymns whenever we are home. All the piano lessons are coming back to me which is good. Thanks for those mommy :) My companion sings while I play. Nei
ther of us are very good so its great. I have a bunch of pictures and videos on the SD card i will send home as soon as i get the one dad sent me. I love being out here, And I miss you all lots and lots!
Elder Black with Julie Green ( a member in Wilton that has family in Alpine!)

Have a great week everyone! :)

XOXOXO

Elder Black :)


No comments:

Post a Comment