Gage's countdown

Monday, September 2, 2013

September 2 email and picture

Wilton is just super! It rained today which was amazing. According to my comp, it hasn’t rained since March. It’s crazy how much it's rained today. Friday and Saturday it was in the upper 90's, and we were riding bikes because we were out of miles on our car. We only get a certain amount every month, and we ran out. The roads here are not very good for biking because there is no shoulder, and since we are out in the country, the speed limit is 55 almost everywhere. Everywhere we stopped we would get a lecture about how stupid it was to be biking on the roads. We stopped at Stockton cop's house, and he said he doesn’t ever run or ride on the roads because it is too scary. And he is a cop in Stockton. Good thing I have the holy spirit protecting me :) 
That Stockton cop is quite the man. He is super cynical and doesn’t really like people. His wife is a member but he isn’t. We are working with him, but it is hard. He has quite the stories from working in Stockton. But overall he is a good guy :)

Wednesday we had Zone conference. I really liked it. President Lewis had lots of great things to tell us, and he really is such a solid man. He talked a lot on the blessings of being obedient, and personal revelation. He had every missionary prepare a talk on one of the topics and told us he was going to pick someone to talk in front of everyone. Obviously of the 50+ missionaries there, I was the one he chose. It is a good thing that is what I gave my farewell talk on. I was also able to use lots things from my blessing when I got set apart. There is such a special spirit when you are in a chapel with 50 missionaries that have been out serving the lord for a long time. the spirit in the MTC is way cool, but these guys actually know what they are doing. So it was fun getting to know them. Brother Mike Russell told me to find his Nephew that is in this mission, and it turns out he is in my zone. I didn’t even realize it till this conference, but I have been with him since day 1! He is such a solid missionary too. It was at this conference that they came out with the new dressing guidelines and officially banned backpacks. The new dressing standards are so nice, but I am pretty sad that I don’t get my backpack anymore!

We did lots of service this week. We have an investigator that is an ex MLB player that we helped a lot. The first day we were helping him spray down his dirt and mix it up because he is wanting to plant grapes (Like everyone else here in Wilton.. There are grapes everywhere). His buddy that was there helping asked us to pray to God and make it start raining so we could go inside.. We had to inform him that it doesn't really work like that. But it has been raining all day today, so maybe God helped us out anyway? haha We went back to that guys house a few days later and helped him lay rebar and get his yard ready for concrete to be poured. We build all the supports and cut the rebar and tied them in place. We went back over the next day and helped him pour the cement which was pretty cool. Now I know how much really goes into pouring it! It was quite the job, We are going back this week to start teaching him. He better listen to us and be baptized soon after all the work we have done for him.. Haha

Teaching has been pretty good. I am starting to teach more and more, but I still let Elder Larsen lead almost every lesson. I am just so scared of screwing up someone's eternal salvation if I say something wrong.. But I getting more comfortable. I usually give the thought/lessons at members houses after we eat dinner. Since we get fed every night, I get to share every night :) Our area is progressing quite well though. We have 4 people that are ready to get baptized, and another one really progressing. Two of them are kids that the Fox's (A really cool family) are trying to adopt. We have to wait for the court to say it’s okay for them to be baptized before we can do it, and there are some complications there since the Cali legal system is a joke, but we will make it work. Then there is Brandi who is a single mom, and Sylvia who is Brandi's mom. They have been taught everything and are ready to be baptized, but they leave on a cruise this week for like 3 weeks. Brandi used to drink lots and lots so we are really hoping that she doesn’t go back to that on her cruise. But we are praying for her to stay strong!

Overall, life is good! The sunsets here are unreal. There have been some massive fires out in the el dorado hills which makes for some awesome sunrises and sunsets. luckily we aren’t getting any smoke here. I have learned quite a bit about the cowboy life, considering most of the people here live on ranches. I realized today that the house Elder Larsen and I are staying in is nicer and bigger than most of the houses here. a good number of them are trailer houses. Lone Peak's trailers are much nicer than the trailers here too. But even though they don’t have much money, we get fed so well. I am already getting fat. I am pretty sure my cheeks are getting all chubby n stuff. My comp loves my blue steel/smolder look, but if I keep eating like this my smolder will be broken because of my chubby cheeks! hahaha :)

I love you guys more than the California Government loves making worthless laws and regulations!
Miss you like elephants miss the rodeo!

XOXO


Elder Black :)
Elder Black got his cookies and package from home hand delivered from Sis. Green.  He is a happy missionary now!

No comments:

Post a Comment